Friday, January 31, 2014

Early Morning: A Photo Series


When you grow up in a city of 10 million, in a country that is rapidly developing, preparing itself and its citizens to enter the global arena, you find yourself constantly seeking quietude, some time away from the fast-paced-ness of events, eventually leading you to begin to romanticize solitude.
My father had always been a storyteller. He had a penchant for adding narrative to everything mundane. As a child, when I often found myself being overwhelmed by how much was simultaneously happening all at once, around me, he would tell me to put my shoes on and then take me on a long walk around our neighborhood. These walks weren’t interventions of any sort; there were no questions asked. Instead, while we strolled through parks and past houses, he would point at the simplest of things, like perhaps the lone red rose in a neighbor’s garden, and create a little story around it. Walking with him, I would carefully observe one thing after the other; the same things that I previously didn’t care enough about to even notice, suddenly turned into objects of immense interest.
These walks would launch me into a fantastical journey and I would never want that little journey to come to an end. When we would come back home and I would tell my father how I felt a lot better, he would respond by saying, “Always remember, nothing gives one more clarity than taking a walk”. Ever since, I have lived by his words.

The generation of today does not stop and think. As technology advances, we are rapidly, if not already, endangering our sense and patience for observation. 
The art of visually stimulating one’s senses has become obsolete. McLuhan too recognized this growing ignorance towards one’s immediate environment. He says, “At the high speeds of electric communication, purely visual means of apprehending the world are no longer possible” (McLuhan 63).

For the “Something is Happening” photo project, I decided to venture out, in the wee hours of this Wednesday morning, on the streets of Appleton. With three layers of clothing and a camera hanging around my neck, I wanted to be disturbed by nothing but the icy wind, as I attempted to capture subtleties in our environment that we pass by in absolute oblivion - create my own private little narratives.

The wind was icy, the roads empty and the small businesses all shut.
To a lone wanderer, in subzero temperatures, downtown Appleton felt serene.

Up Is The Wrong Way, a photograph by Zain Ali
I would walk, pause, think and click. Different vantage points allowed for interesting narrative. I found humor trapped in nooks and corners, I found spring locked inside a gardening shop. I realized there was still so much outside to see, instead of just piles of white snow. There were fascinating compositions. 

I hope after viewing my photo series, “Early Morning”, you too decide to venture out, take your own little private walk. Not with your head down, texting away on your iPhone 5, but with your chin up, and your eyes not shut.

3 comments:

  1. Zain,

    I really loved all of the photos you took for this project. I especially love the vibrant colors found in so many of them. Looking at your pictures makes me forget that we live in the subzero temperatures of Appleton. I think your story about walks and how they can bring us peace and separation was captured in your set of photos. Also, I find it fascinating that the two of us took pictures in a lot of similar areas in downtown Appleton, yet we noticed and captured different images. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zain,

    I enjoyed your presentation about creating your own private narratives. I also appreciate how you view the western world of the United States and interpret things differently or comparing them to your home back in Delhi. Your photos are very crisp and remind me of early mornings on College ave. I also like how you used similar colors in different frames. I can see how you carefully framed your environment - to say the least, I enjoy your photo set and i'm excited to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! When you used the phrase "romanticize solitude," I realized what a perfect description of your photo set that was. I know that you named your set "Early Morning," but I could just as well imagine the set being called "Solitude Romanticized," or something like that (just me thinking out loud).

    Also, I second Mackenzie's comment on the vibrant colors. You seem to be quite adept at capturing color.

    ReplyDelete