Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sandra L. Dyas: Home Is Where The Heart Is

As Sandra Dyas walked into the Digital Processes lab on the icy Wednesday morning of January the 15th, she not only brought in an air of comfort, warmth and humility with her, but also a unique life story. Dyas’ life has been anything but conventional. A portrait photographer who started out photographing weddings in the small town of Bellevue, Iowa, Sandy got married at the age of 20, returned to school at the age of 30 and now teaches photography to young rising artists at Cornell College.

“Photos lie”, she says.
There is always more to a photograph than meets the eye.
There is always a story.
Ballerina Girl with Apple, near Iowa City, Iowa

Brought up on a farm in Jackson County, Iowa, Sandy believes that an artist is primarily influenced by the place that they belong from, the place they consider their home. As I look back at some of my previous works, I realize how each of them have, in some way or another, been molded by aspects of my life in India. Thus, it is indeed true - nothing influences an artist more than the place they come from, and it makes perfect sense. Our minds are constantly being affected by what is happening in our immediate surroundings.
            Furthermore Sandy adds, that, in order to realize how much one’s landscape informs and shapes who they become, an artist must leave a place and come back. Indeed, true appreciation can only arise from absence. Each time I have the opportunity to go home, I see the same things, but just more intently every time. I realize things I have lived my whole life in absolute ignorance of.  And I pay attention. I appreciate.
This brings me back to one of my favorite quotes.
Charles M. Schulz once said, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”.

I know Sandy would agree.


3 comments:

  1. I loved that you brought your own personal experiences from India and connected them to Sandy's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Photos lie," is definitely one of the coolest things that an artist has ever said. Also, I think you touched on something important about Sandy's work by relating it to your own experiences. It's that ability to change our perceptions of our homes that make us artists, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on the fact that our environment shapes who we are. Sandy really stressed the idea about going back to your roots and even though the concepts of her work might seem conventional, the way she frames her work in her shots makes a conventional experience into something unique to her and her experiences living in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete